Tuesday, July 23, 2013

From selfish ambition to a heart filled with Christ's agape love

 If I speak in the tongues of men or of angels, but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal.  If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing.  If I give all I possess to the poor and give over my body to hardship that I may boast, but do not have love, I gain nothing. -1 Chorinthians 13:1-3

This concept has really been hitting home so much lately. For my actions are not always those of a loving heart but of a boastful one. I can say it a thousand times that I am serving to honor Jesus that I want Jesus to be glorified but secretly inside many times my actions and thoughts are not linked together. Many times I find that I am doing things out of selfish ambitions and ways to boast about God or Jesus or my faith. The truth is deep down I think the real motive is so I can boast about what is going on and what is being done through me and then it truly can take away from the heart of Jesus shining through. It then becomes what I did instead of what Jesus really did.
The concept can seem twisted, can come across to many as an act of goodness, selflessness or (as I love the term) sweetness. Who doesn't like being seen as a sweet caring person? Who wouldn't want to be known as the nice person? Who doesn't want to be the person everyone can say has a good heart? But if my heart is not in line with God’s heart and filled with Jesus love then all my actions all the things I do are a pointless waste of time. If I am doing all these nice things to serve others only to boast in my actions and myself worth then my actions are not out of love but out of selfish ambition. We are reminded by Paul in Phillipians 2: 3-4 to not do anything out of selfish ambition.
So how do I know if I am doing things out of love? Well first I know that in the story of Samuel finding King David (1 Samuel 15: 4-7) God tells Samuel that David’s brother who looks like he would fit the human bill for king is not the anointed one for God looks at the heart. This is true of all men. God looks at our hearts. He will hear a cry of willingness to do things in a God honoring manor. He also sees the selfish heart that craves to hear praise and good things from others. He knows the selfish desires of the heart and if my heart is not in line with what is right than nothing I do is correct and there is no real praise.
I know that in 1John 4:7-8 we are told to love one another. That love comes from God alone and anyone who knows God knows what love is anyone who does not know God does not know what love is.
I believe there are two things for me to learn from all this. The first is that the only reason I become convicted about the lack of real Christ-like love I show to others around me is because I know exactly what Love of God really is, what it really looks like. And the second thing for me to learn is how to allow God to really work in me and my heart and mind to teach me that I can have and serve with agape love. The type of love Jesus gave. He gave everything for the chance to be my Lord, my King and my friend expecting nothing in return! He cared enough to save me and love me and die for me and still though He can see my wicked heart still find a way to love me unconditionally. Because I know what this love is and I have it I can learn to do all the things which I love to do, which I use to do out of selfish ambition and vein conceit, and change those reasons into the right loving reasons to reach the lost and be a healthy and happy sister in Christ to those around me.

“This is love: not that we loved God, but that he loved us and sent his Son as an atoning sacrifice for our sins.  Dear friends, since God so loved us, we also ought to love one another.  No one has ever seen God; but if we love one another, God lives in us and his love is made complete in us.

-1 John 4: 10-12

No comments:

Post a Comment