Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Matthew 25:14-30--- a new thought for me


Matthew 25:14-30
“Again, it will be like a man going on a journey, who called his servants and entrusted his wealth to them.  To one he gave five bags of gold, to another two bags, and to another one bag, each according to his ability. Then he went on his journey.  The man who had received five bags of gold went at once and put his money to work and gained five bags more. So also, the one with two bags of gold gained two more. But the man who had received one bag went off, dug a hole in the ground and hid his master’s money.
   “After a long time the master of those servants returned and settled accounts with them.  The man who had received five bags of gold brought the other five. ‘Master,’ he said, ‘you entrusted me with five bags of gold. See, I have gained five more.’ “His master replied, ‘Well done, good and faithful servant! You have been faithful with a few things; I will put you in charge of many things. Come and share your master’s happiness!’
  “The man with two bags of gold also came. ‘Master,’ he said, ‘you entrusted me with two bags of gold; see, I have gained two more.’  “His master replied, ‘Well done, good and faithful servant! You have been faithful with a few things; I will put you in charge of many things. Come and share your master’s happiness!’
 “Then the man who had received one bag of gold came. ‘Master,’ he said, ‘I knew that you are a hard man, harvesting where you have not sown and gathering where you have not scattered seed. So I was afraid and went out and hid your gold in the ground. See, here is what belongs to you.’  “His master replied, ‘You wicked, lazy servant! So you knew that I harvest where I have not sown and gather where I have not scattered seed? Well then, you should have put my money on deposit with the bankers, so that when I returned I would have received it back with interest.
  “‘So take the bag of gold from him and give it to the one who has ten bags. For whoever has will be given more, and they will have an abundance. Whoever does not have, even what they have will be taken from them. And throw that worthless servant outside, into the darkness, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.’
A few weeks ago our church hosted a women’s brunch. It was so great being surrounded by so many women of the same faith and meeting the different women who came to sit at the table with me.  However; the most impacting thing which I have been pondering now for a few weeks was the message which was shared.  Jana Liebe, our pastor’s wife was amazing and so thought provoking for me that I can honestly say it’s been a lesson I have now thought of at least once a day every day since the breakfast occurred.  I have heard the above scripture countless times and even heard it preached on by several, but for some odd reason this was the day the message really sank in.
I have been called to women’s ministry which I have known now for a while and am so excited about. (Yes I believe after my family it’s my number one calling) However, I was so confused because I felt I had also been called by God to be doing the other things in ministry which I am currently participating in.  I was lost feeling frustrated and torn because if I was to do one I always thought for some odd reason that meant I had to give up the current ones I was already doing. 
However, This is not the case. Jana was explaining that God gave some people more gifts (talents) to use than others.  She said if you look and see others who have lots of gifts we have to remember ‘they just have a longer to do list.’ This got me to thinking.  I was never envious of many people and the things which they were doing or how well they did them when they served. I always had the problem looking inside myself and seeing all these things I knew I could do but never knowing which one to pick or how to accomplish them. The point for me is I am not suppose to pick I am suppose to do them all.  God gave me several different gifts and I am to use them all and yes, they all in turn use my most prominent gift, the gift of gab.  Sure my list is longer than some others, to me it looks like my list is not short, and that is what scares me to death. I do not have a short list and yet sometimes I envy the people who do. It’s much easier to balance things out when God gave you only a few things to handle. I am not good at organizing the use of my time and yet in order for me to accomplish and use all the gifts God gave me, it means I am going to have to find a way to become more disciplined with the time He gives me each day.
I also know that just because I have all these different gifts does not mean that I have to use them all at the same time, but it also doesn’t mean I have to quit one to do another. I have been working in our children’s ministry team now for about 9 months and I love it. However, about 6 months ago I really felt a huge calling to become involved with women’s ministries. Since I have never felt so strongly and more passionate about a certain ministry I knew this was to be my main focus. However, I didn’t know how to give up doing something I love so much (children’s ministry) to the point that it started becoming hard for me to keep a positive attitude about serving anywhere because I was always feeling so torn.  Thankfully I’m starting to get a little clarity, knowing that if I trust God he is going to make sure my gifts, which He gave me, are all going to be used for his glory and I don’t have to worry about the details he will find a way for me to balance out all the things He’s called me to do.  Therefore in the end I can have peace of mind, heart, and soul knowing He’s in control and I can just let go and enjoy doing everything He’s calling me to do. I know if I stay open and willing and trust Him he’ll work out the details.

No comments:

Post a Comment