Friday, October 19, 2012

No longer cliche "I just pray I have a healthy baby"



When we find out we are expecting many of us can’t help but think how we would prefer one gender over the other. We often say, well I just hope it’s healthy, but deep down we don’t expect anything but healthy.  We still secretly inside wish for gender, though we mean what we say about healthy it’s almost become a cliché saying as the majority of us have nothing but purely healthy babies.
So we went in for our 20 week ultra sound with our third child expecting routine everything. The tech doing the ultra sound was nice and cheery letting us know that our stubborn little one would need another ultrasound because she wasn’t able to get baby to move enough to check the whole spinal cord to make sure it was covered and all in good health.  That seemed simple enough she just couldn’t see the whole spinal area. So as we sat and waited for doc to come in so we could just go home and have the routine check up part over with we talked about gender and this that and the other thing.
Doc walked in and started talking about how babies head measurements looked great, heart looked good but baby was not measuring correctly between where the kidney and bladder connect and the area in the kidney was slightly dilated. Ever have your world turned upside down? I did. I cried my eyes out. Though this is nothing too serious as baby’s life is not in jeopardy I was sitting there feeling so stupid because that whole morning all I was concerned with was should we find out gender or should we not.  When in truth what we should be concerned about is making sure our babies are healthy.  The cliché of saying “I just hope baby is healthy,” was no longer a cliché saying it was true 100% true and I didn’t care anymore if the baby was boy or girl just pray for healthy.
I was a devastated mom and feeling terrible. Worried sick that my baby was not healthy and that there wasn’t a darn thing I can do about it!  I had the feeling in the pit of my stomach like that one you get when your kid falls down and gets hurt and you can’t do much for their pain just hold them and pray they end up being better. Of course the doc repeated over and over and over again that typically this type of a thing would usually clear up sometimes it doesn’t but just had to be aware of the situation, but usually all turns out fine.
The guilt that washed over me in the room was more than I could bear. I couldn't keep the tears in, partially because I am pregnant and emotional but mostly because I felt so guilty. The guilt just wouldn't subside it ate at me all the way home, all the way through making dinner. And then the worry hit me like a brick wall. I worried about my baby.  Asking God what we were going to do? What happened if the worst of the worst happened? And then there was this awkward moment of the question being repeated to me ever so gently, “What are you going to do?  What would you do if the worst that she mentioned did happen? Will you not still trust me? Have you not been saying that this baby either boy or girl has a purpose that I have in mind for them and you?”  The tears immediately stopped of course realizing that though the things the doc mentioned were not only out of my control but that if those things were going to come to pass once baby was born that I had to trust God to be in charge of it all. I didn't do anything to cause the problem with baby it was God’s choice to have anything that may happen to this little one occur.  
I was so glad that I had such a big God with big shoulders to go to. Even though things could have been spoken that were a lot worse than what the doc told us I was still saddened but felt so much comfort after going to him and being reassured over and over that He was in control and no matter what He was going to look after me and my family including the little on growing inside of me. There is peace in knowing that even if this baby comes out with issues and if they don’t go away, God is taking care of it all and is holding both me and my child through each step of the way. He will never give us more than He is willing to help us through and He will never ask me to go through it alone.
Though Matt and I are sure things will turn out fine, it was a hard lesson to have to go through in order to answer the one question I keep asking myself even before I got pregnant. “If something really bad happened to me, would I still really trust and rely on God believing he’ll take care of me?”  I can honestly answer that though this may seem minuet detailed to some it was the question I really had to find an answer too.  Is my faith and my trust in God conditional or will I trust that He is good even if bad happens in my life which is only under his control?
The answer, yes, yes! and I am totally 100% sure that I’ve never felt more reliant on Him or happy even if things aren’t perfect with my child. I know that God has a purpose for my child and for my life and that no matter if baby is born healthy or baby is born boy or girl there is a purpose that no one can stop and all will be fine and perfect like He designed and worry is not something He has asked of me to do. Knowing I can fully trust him has relieved me of literally all my worry and it is the BEST feeling I’ll ever have.

No comments:

Post a Comment