Thursday, December 12, 2013

Blessed to be a blessing

Today as I was going about my morning minding my own business I was heading home from the gas station where I had just stood out in the cold weather praying the car would just hurry up and fill. It was freezing! So as I am driving home I see this old man he was walking with bag in hand, he had a jacket, hat and gloves but he was literally shuffling his feet as though that was all the faster he could walk. I drove past.  Yup I did I kept driving even though I had this little voice tell me to stop and pick him up.

As I kept driving of course I was watching in my mirror, feeling annoyed because frankly I didn't mind doing the right thing, after all it was cold but surly one of the three cars following me would stop and get him. I drove about 5 blocks and could see that no one had stopped. Grrrrr I was frustrated was no one kind hearted enough to pick the man up?! I at least had an excuse I had two little kids in my car I shouldn't have to stop! But then it hit me, I was just as selfish and self absorbed as all the other people who had just driven by. Too worried about getting on with my day to stop and help a stranger.

So I did a u-turn in the middle of the road, went back and picked him up. Poor guy was half frozen by the time I got him in the van. My 2 year old looked at me funny at first and then once he seemed to realize what was going on gave me a big ol' smile as in approval.  The man was ever so sweet! You know the kind of old man that is like the grandfather figure to everyone and just pleasant and chipper. He had such a good attitude reminding me that there are soldiers in freezing cold places who stand out on cold days like this one without a shelter to keep them warm. He made me smile all the way to his destination, even got to stop and drop off his mail for him. It was fun, and I am glad I stopped to the urgent calling in my heart to give the man a lift.

It was funny, I didn't think until I got home to even think to wish the man a Merry Christmas. Why? Because frankly I shouldn't care if it's the 'season for giving and caring,' I should just be reaching out doing small acts of kindness every day to those I see in need. I think I was blessed today by being able to help him out  more than he was by me stopping to pick him up. And to think, I almost missed this moment of happiness and joy by being selfish, not wanting to stop with my van of kids in the cold to help a stranger in need.

Forever grateful I got to help out today! I will officially be looking for new and more ways to reach out to those in my community, in my neighborhood and around me. It's a blessing to be a blessing!

No comments:

Post a Comment