Tuesday, December 10, 2013

To be like the Poor Widow

Mark 12: 41-44 Jesus sat down near the collection box in the Temple and watched as the crowds dropped in their money. Many rich people put in large amounts.  Then a poor widow came and dropped in two small coins. Jesus called his disciples to him and said, “I tell you the truth, this poor widow has given more than all the others who are making contributions. For they gave a tiny part of their surplus, but she, poor as she is, has given everything she had to live on.”



 I am not going to lie; I LOVE this story!! It is a short one but holds so much meaning to it, not just back when Jesus was alive but also to learn from today. So, what I am going to do is tell a story, much like this one but put it into terms we would recognize if it were to happen today, and if you look around your church moments like this happen all the time.

A well known man walks into the big bad Christian church. People are dressed in their typical up to date, dressed to impress, fashions. He sees an old widow, clothes are a bit old looking and warn, they are far from new. At closer view point you could smell that she has not had a luxury of a shower in a good week, her close have small holes in them and her shoes, well if you want to call them that, they are falling apart and her glasses are tapped together on one side barely holding the lens in place.


The man takes notice that no one in the whole building is stopping to talk to her, to see if she needs help or see if they can assist her in any way. They don't even seem to be noticing that she is in the building at all. The man proceeds to walk into the sanctuary where there are instruments up on stage, people smiling and singing praise songs as loud as ever boasting of their care and love for God.

The time comes for the offering to be passed around. Nice velvet bags with sturdy brown handles are passed from person to person. The place is packed and about every third person or so places an envelope full of money into the bag, thinking not much about what they just did. The looks on their faces are all mixed emotions some are happy, some are a little down cast but not too sad but none look as alone as the lady who had come in ratted clothes and torn. 

As the collection bag comes to her the man notices how she touches the soft velvet, something she was obviously not accustom to wearing or touching. She places in what appears to be a $10 bill. As she puts the money in the bag and passes it on the woman has a smile on her face, very serene and almost holy. 

The man stops to tell the close friends around him, "you see that woman over there, the one no one else pays attention too? Though she may appear to not offer much she has offered more than those who gave in song, more than those who smile all day in passing to the strangers who are easy to look at, more than those who gave their normal 'tithing dues.' This woman has shown the love she has for the Father God because she has sacrificed her meals for this week to give all she has to the Father. This woman has given everything she has to God. This woman is a woman of faith and love, for she knows that God will take care of her."


I have to stop when I think about this story and question myself. Have i given fully of myself to God as this woman has? Have I left no question in God's mind that I am fully devoted to Him, believing that He will supply all my needs as it says in Philippians 4:19?  If Jesus were to walk into my church could He look at me, pick me out of the crowed as the one who truly gave it all for the cause of the Kingdom of God?

I'd love to say yes, that for sure I know God would look at me as one who has sacrificed all for Him. But truth is day in and out I don't give everything to Him. I definitely don't give all my living expenses to Him, or my time. 

I can say though that I am not going to totally jilt myself either. I am a stay at home mom. I do know that I have given up the worldly pleasures of having all sorts of extra money so I can stay home with my children and raise them in a safe and healthy Christian environment. I know that I dedicate my time to serving my husband and working on and being devoted to our marriage. 

I know that I have given my time to serve God in areas where he has called me, but I can honestly say I have not always done it with a pleasant and willing and faithful attitude that God will provide for me. Instead usually when I feel God prompting me to give more of my time or more of our finances I often feel more stressed and worry about not having enough of both to make me and my family happy. It almost becomes a fight because I think I have given enough, why do I have to forfeit more? I can not always say I do things with an attitude that is pleasing to God. I am not always in a attitude that is sold out for Christ, wither in serving in time or serving with money.

I need to be less worried about earthly desires and personal gains and just focus on making sure the light of Jesus shines through my actions. I need to be the candle in the dark to everyone around me all the time. I need to always act the way I would if Christ walked into the door and saw me, I would be the one He pointed out as the one who truly gave all I had to the cause of the Kingdom of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment